Occupational Health Centre Questions and Answers
At Reddy Urgent Care, our board-certified occupational health doctors are committed to thorough and efficient rehabilitative care for anyone who has suffered a workplace injury. For more information, call us. We serve patients from Downtown Long Beach CA, Lakewood CA, Seal Beach CA, Anaheim CA, Cerritos CA, Torrance CA.
Table of Contents:
Occupational health care is a branch of medicine that specializes in the prevention and care of injury and the promotion of health and safety in the workplace. In order to promote safe working practices and environments in the workplace, occupational health physicians help employees and employers in the following ways:
• Education about first aid, safe working practices, ergonomics (i.e., the study of how one works and how they can work more efficiently and safely), and general health and wellness
• Improving the safety of workplace practices and environments
• Injury prevention and rehabilitative care
• Monitoring the health of a given workplace’s employers and employees
An example of occupational health would be paid injury prevention training sessions with a physician or medical professional at your place of work. These sessions would aim to educate workers on avoiding injury and navigating the risks and hazards of their particular employment.
Another example of occupational health is pre-employment screenings. If you are a prospective employee or an employer looking over hiring options, a pre-employment screening can either guarantee that the worker is physically, emotionally, and mentally fit for the work involved, if they would require modifications, or if the work is not recommended given the physical or mental fitness of the prospective hire.
The primary function of occupational health services is to prevent injuries and illnesses from occurring or worsening in the workplace. However, there is a broad range of services involved with occupational health that each work toward that end in particular ways. Some of the occupational health services and their functions include the following:
• Flu shots and vaccinations: If any employer or employee requires a flu shot or lacks a necessary vaccination, an occupational health doctor can provide flu shots or immunizations to prevent the spread of infectious illness and disease.
• Health and safety promotion: In order to equip employers and employees with the skill and knowledge of how to prevent injury, illness, optimize their physical and mental health and navigate the risks and hazards of the workplace, occupational health physicians provide workplace staff with a wealth of information, techniques, and resources.
• Illness and injury care: Whether an employee has suffered an injury or illness through workplace violence, repetitive strain related to their work, exposure to harmful chemicals, or another work-related concern, occupational health doctors can provide excellent rehabilitative care to ensure a streamlined and careful eventual return to work.
• Physical exams: Occupational health doctors can provide Department of Transportation (DOT) physicals, pre-employment physicals, or routine physicals to inform both employee and employer alike of their respective fitness for the position.
• Physical therapy: Depending on the workplace injury involved, an occupational health physician may include physical therapy as part of the rehabilitative care to help the employee return to work safely and efficiently.
• Specialist referrals: If the injury or illness suffered in the workplace requires a specialist’s services, occupational health doctors can write a referral to an appropriate specialist for the employee or employer that suffered the ailment.
If your place of employment has recourse to an occupational health program and you have injured yourself at work, noticed that your work causes significant harm or stress on your mental or physical well-being, or are recovering from an injury and thinking about returning to work, getting in touch with your occupational health doctor is an invaluable plan.
If you are an employer concerned about the safety or your work environment or would like to educate your employees on safe working practices, now is the time to contact an occupational health center! Here at Reddy Urgent Care, we would be delighted to speak with you about partnering with your company to provide occupational health services.
We invite you to Reddy Urgent Care for all your occupational health center needs! Come to 123 Atlantic Ave in downtown Long Beach, California, for a walk-in appointment. We are open seven days a week, from 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM during the week and 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM on weekends.